stand tall my sweet soldier
of love and light
yield your bright
to cut across my tired eyes
with too much knowing
and not enough showing
dream your world backward
and drag me
with your tender wishes
while we softly add
layers to our days
that I did not think
would be there
did not hope
we could share
our bonbon army
to guide us through
the broken glass days
Soren’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bonbons
- acetate strips (or candy molds)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate bars or chocolate chips will work
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter use unsweetened peanut butter, or decrease the amount of powdered sugar you use to taste.
- 1/4 cup powedered sugar
- 1/4 cup salted caramel we make our own, but no shame in getting it pre-made!
- 12 small biscotti or Amaretti cookies make your own or use Amaretti cookies. We love Amaretti Virginia brand.
- 2 tbsp pearl sugar you can also use sprinkels, coconut, whatever topping suits you!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- If you are using acetate like we did, cut them into strips about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. Curl them into rings to create the molds in which you will build your bonbons. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Make your Salted Caramel. Heat sugar in a pan over medium high heat. Whisk constantly. The sugar will clump and then eventually melt and boil. When it reaches a lovely caramel color, carefully add in the butter whisking briskly. It will boil up so take care. Let the butter/sugar mixture boil for a few minutes, remove from heat and add in the cream stirring contanstly. Add in salt and set aside to let cool.
- Make the salted caramel peanut butter by mixing peanut butter, powedered sugar and cooled salted caramel with a hand mixer until smooth. You can adjust the sweetness to your taste by adjusting the amount of peanut butter/sugar/caramel you add. Put your peanut butter in a baggie and snip the end.
- Roughly chop your chocolate, if using bars, or place chips into a metal bowl over a pan of bowling water. Whisk chocolate constantly until it is melted. Dont over heat. Remove chocolate from the heat before it's completely melted, as it will continue to melt as you stir without risking over heating.
- Place slightly cooled chocolate in a plastic baggie and snip the corner. Pipe a small amount of chocolate into the each acetate mold to create your bottom layer.
- Place an amarretti cookie or biscotti in each candy mold on top of the chocolate. Press down gently to help it settle into the chocolate.
- Next, pipe on a layer of your salted caramel peanut butter to cover your cookie layer.
- Finally, top with another layer of chocolate.
- Sprinkle with an extra topping if desired. Pearl sugar, sprinkles, or even crushed peanuts would be lovely.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 10 minutes (that's as long as we could wait, but longer might be better!) Peel off your acetate and enjoy! Keep uneated bonbons (if you have any) in the freezer.